
Well, around here school starts for most kids tomorrow. Teachers, parents and kids are excited, worried and scrambling today, but our house is quiet. After 9 years of teaching, for the first time I will not greet students at the door, excited about a fresh, clean start of a new school year. Nearly every parent I know wants their child's teacher to like them, so here are my top ten hints on how to have a teacher LOVE you!!
10. Bring a small gift on Meet the Teacher night, the first day of school, or the first Friday of school. I've loved cards the kids made, a new set of colorful grading pens or stickers. What a great way to start off on the right foot!

9. Don't tell the teacher detailed instructions as you drop of your 1st grader on the first day. She has 22 new students and is still learning names! Her brain is on overload, so you can tell her orally if you need to (briefly!!) then hand her a note that she can read later that explains that you think your child may have dyslexia or that you are going through a divorce.
8. Everyone knows teachers love volunteers! Sometimes teachers are too overloaded to sort through that list of parents or to come up with jobs. Suggest concrete things that you would be good at/like to do and give her an idea of your time commitment.
-weekly copy queen- spend 30 min. a week doing all of her copies every Friday
-come up Thursday mornings to help with reading groups
-do bulletin boards once a month
-be room mom
-work, but can take off for parties
-send home stuff to cut out or games make- I have preschoolers and need to be home.
7. Communicate by email. It's easy and teachers can answer it when they have time! This is easier than chatting at dismissal, and they are less likely to forget. Some teachers like texting too.
6. Send her a note or holler at her from your car when you appreciate something she did. Did your kindergartener wear you out talking about that activity? Tell her. :)
5. Support the teacher in her discipline. I LOVED it when parents found out that their child got in trouble at school (not an occasional forgotten homework, but being ugly to another student or stealing, etc.) and told me that they were also grounded at home.
4. Bring her a Sonic drink at dismissal!!!! It's often over 100 degrees and teachers are exhausted and sweaty. Ask her what her favorite drink is (or have your child ask) and surprise her through the car window at dismissal. She'll love you forever! This is also great when you go on a field trip and follow the bus back or during field day. Happy hour is 2-4!
3. If your child takes meds for ADHD in the morning, talk to the nurse and see if you can send a spare pill in the Rx bottle to leave in the nurse's office for days you forget. This can make a HUGE difference in 23 peoples' day!!
2. If there's snow, ice or flooding rains, pick up your child about an hour early. Bad weather dismissal can be a nightmare. We have to find new plans for all walkers and dismiss kids from inside. YUCK. One family less in line is great! Just don't wait until 15 minutes before school is out- the office will be a madhouse!
1. Do you really, really want her to love you?? Check with the principal or PTA board and see if you can cover her class before or after lunch so she gets an hour or hour and a half lunch break instead of 20 min. to scarf down cafeteria food. If you can swing it, do the grade level so they can go out to lunch together. Going out to lunch at work is a HUGE treat for teachers!!! A little worried? Bring a friend or your mom and you can both cover it. Recess is often attached to lunch too. Still too intimidated or don't have time? Give her the choice of a few local REAL restaurants and pick up to- go for her one day! You and a friend can split the cost and share the brownie points!! :)
To my mom (a kindergarten teacher!), all my teacher friends, my friends who are parents and ESPECIALLY to my 2 nieces starting kindergarten, I hope you have a GREAT first day of school!!
I know there are other fabulous ideas- leave a comment with yours!!
5 comments:
Corrie...I loved reading your tips! It will be a while before Addison is in school but as a former teacher myself, I was thinking...."Oooh, that's a GOOD one!"...especially the sonic drink.
***I say bring her Starbucks in the morning one day. My day was always 10 times better if I had my Starbucks cup with me, but never had time to run by myself.
I loved your post! Every idea was a good one! And, as a music teacher, I'd have to add that one of my favorite things was when a parent would offer to be in charge of all the decorations & props for a program! That was the best!
Great ideas. Ive been scatter brained the last 2 days with school stuff and was wanting to do something for all our teachers but didn't have any ideas. Thanks Friday will be my kiss up day.
The best ideas!!!...I miss out when I homeschool...I'm the mom and the teacher!!!
Thanks for the ideas. I really want to support my kids' teachers, but I'm never very good with ideas. This is so helpful!
Post a Comment