Happy 1st Birthday, Tatem Rose!
A SPRINKLES Party!
Party Pics
Peas in a pod
Yes! I LOVE it! (The many obsessions of an almost 3 year old)
On Saturday, we had a combo birthday party for our girls! When my doctor was talking about inducing Tatem 3 weeks early, of course I was worried about delivering what looked like a 4 pound baby, but I was also bummed that their birthdays would be 5 weeks apart! Tatem GREW, didn't have to be induced early and was delivered at 40 weeks...bring on the combo parties!
We did an Evite with this picture and poem:
SPRINKLES are sweet
SPRINKLES are fun
Landrie's turning three, and
Tatem's turning ONE!
I had lots of party ideas floating around my head, but one day I asked Landrie what kind of party she wanted. She said, "A pink cake, candles and SPRINKLES!!!" The girl LOVES sprinkles...on her oatmeal, her yogurt, of course on her cupcakes, you name it! This post will be all the party details, and tomorrow's will be all about the actual party! I got cute polka dot wrapping paper at Hobby Lobby and put it up as "wall paper" on one wall. Unfortunately, I was putting it up as the party was starting, and I didn't get to finish! It was also going to be on the tables as table runners. Oh well!
It was HOT, so the food was inside. My friend let me borrow tons of her stuff from her daughter's party last year, so we had fun polka dot dishes. I used the Evite picture on the table too. :)
I used the leftover fabric from the girls' outfits as a table runner, and before I made the outfits it was a backdrop for their picture (at the top of this post). I got my money's worth out of that 1.5 yards! I also scattered little fuzzy pom poms around the table as giant sprinkles. I wish I would have taken a picture up close, but on the right side the glass that held the forks was rimmed in sprinkles too.
It was one of my favorite things! It's the same idea as a margarita glass with salt, but I used the white chocolate and dipped it in a bowl of sprinkles! (Thank you, Pinterest!) This is the picture that gave me the idea. (If you want to pin it, please pin it from her blog here. :) )
The cupcake stand was covered in the same wrapping paper, and Tatem's smash cake was up on top! I melted white almond bark (you can find it by the chocolate chips), piped it on wax paper and poured sprinkles on top. That made the cute letters! The decorated cupcakes on the bottom layers were for the adults.
The drink station was outside. The buckets worked great for water bottles and juice boxes, and the punch bowl was strawberry lemonade with Sonic ice. Did you know you can buy that AMAZING Sonic ice by the bag?? Just call around, because only some of them sell it. We went through 16 quarts of lemonade, 40 water bottles, 4 boxes of juice boxes and 4 bags of ice. Did I mention it was hot?? :) The top bucket had wipes, sunscreen and band aids. The band aids were a last minute addition, but they got used!!
Since it was so hot outside, I wanted people to feel comfortable in and out! At Landrie's first birthday party, I made an adorable banner with pictures of her each month. It was so hard to choose just 12! We have Apple TV, and my favorite feature is such a side feature. You can listen to your music from itunes through your tv, and you can set up the screen saver to be your pictures! I selected a good playlist, then copied my favorite (200+!) pictures in a file and had those going as a screen saver on the tv. It is a super-easy way to do a "slideshow" set to music. The girls LOVE watching it!
I used scrapbook paper and a spool of tulle from Hobby Lobby to make a banner for Tatem.
and Landrie too!
I was going to make sugar cookies to decorate, but due to time and an overdose of sweets, I decided to just have the kids frost and decorate their own cupcakes! I bought a TON of sprinkles and used my cookie scoop to give each child a scoop of frosting. They used popsicle sticks to spread the frosting around.
I made Landrie a "3" for her cupcake too! Apparently I'm in denial about having a 3 year old though. Count those candles. :)
I made the girls these matching outfits. I LOVE THEM!! I just used the iron on adhesive and did a layer of white under the bright fabric to make each initial. Then I used this 20 minute skirt tutorial to make the skirts. Seriously. It's a rectangle of fabric, then you sew 3 straight lines. Vicky, you need to make one!! :)
Since the girls are so little, we had a big variety of ages! Nine of their cousins (ages 4-12 years) were there and lots of friends' siblings joined in the fun too. I wanted to make sure that everyone could have fun, so I had to plan activities that worked on lots of levels. Decorating cupcakes is always a crowd pleaser- that was an easy one. This one didn't come to me until two days before! We did "sprinkle art!" I knew that after sprinkles were used with glue, no one would want to use them for food, but I remembered an old idea I had pinned on Pinterest! You can make your own sprinkles, and I'd even done it before.
Sugar + food coloring = colored sprinkles!
I just put a little less than a 1/2 cup of sugar in a glass and Landrie added a few drops of plain food coloring. Then we stirred it with a fork! (This worked better than when we shook it in a jar.) We made 6 colors and lined them up with spoons in each cup. The kids went crazy with the glue, spooned the "sprinkles" on top, then poured the excess back in the cups! It did make a mess, but it was MUCH easier to clean up than glitter! I was really shocked at how into it every age was. :) We will probably do this again with a playgroup!

We also had white chocolate popcorn with...sprinkles, of course! This has long been a family favorite, so it was a no-brainer! Find the recipe or pin it from here. (Although our way is even easier! I use microwave popcorn with 2 squares of the melted almond bark drizzled on top. Well, Mark's sisters made it this time because as I mentioned, we just ran out of time!)
I didn't get pictures of the favors either! Just like Landrie's first birthday, we made chocolate covered sprinkle pretzels! I found celo bags made for pretzels, and tied them with a tulle bow! Check out the blog this picture came from (with lots of other party ideas) here.
I had lots of other ideas pinned to my Party board on Pinterest, in case you are looking for more sprinkles ideas! Thanks for the party idea, Landrie! :)
I had a ball planning the girls' party! At Landrie's 1st, I was recovering from major surgery and not even allowed to life 1 pound yet! At Landrie's 2nd, Tatem was just 17 days old. This was the first year I felt great! Tomorrow I'll post pictures of the actual party, but since Landrie's other party posts are some of the most viewed pages on this blog, I know that plenty of you out there like to see all the details! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment