Saturday, May 29, 2010

Christening Gown

Tomorrow morning we will have Landrie's baby dedication!  There's a tradition in my family of the children wearing a BEAUTIFUL gown for their baby dedication or christening.  I talked with Nonny to get all the history on this, since I can't wait to have Landrie wear it!


Back in 1920, Landrie's great-great-grandma was pregnant with her second baby.  She had a 6 year old son running around, and she just knew the baby she was carrying was a girl.  She wasn't someone who sewed a lot or who was known for her needlework, but she couldn't wait to sew for her baby girl.  


She handmade everything with love during her pregnancy.  Well, they didn't have 4D sonograms back in the 1920's, and on March 12, 1921, Landrie's great-grandpa Gene was born.  Ora Mae Grier Strauss (Landrie's great-great-grandma) was shocked, but excited about having a baby boy!  She wasn't about to let all that hard work go to waste, and she put her baby boy in the gown she spent so many hours making. :)

Years later, my mom was born, and Grandma was so pleased that her granddaughter wore it for her christening too!  My grandpa was NOT going to let his sons wear the dress, but it was perfect for my mom.  Plus, Nonny said the boys were older when they were christened.

My parents then had all 3 of us dedicated in the gown!  If I was a really good blogger, I'd have pictures for you.  How about one of my grandpa and brother?
My grandpa "D" was the first boy who got to wear the dress, and Eric was the second!

Now we are passing the gown around to all of Landrie's cousins.  They all looked so precious in the antique outfit!  
When I finally got the gown, after we finally got Landrie :),  it was extra special!  You can see the paper thin gown has a few tears and has been through lots of love, but it makes this 90 year old treasure even more special.  I love that Landrie gets to wear something that symbolizes 4 generations of a family that loves God!!

And, because I know you may not care about all that history, but we all love Landrie's adorable face, here's the cutie in action!  I love this sweet girl!

Get ready for some major picture posts soon!  We've got lots of family in town to celebrate Landrie's dedication, and celebrating we are!!

1 comment:

David and Bethany said...

I think that is so special that Landrie had such an heirloom to wear for her dedication! I thought (for about 2 seconds) of putting Isaac in my baptismal dress, but Dave wouldn't put up with it! ;) But, if there's ever a Baby Girl Rinn, she'll for sure wear it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails