Okay, so the CRAZIEST thing happened. I had already decided not to attempt potty training until after we'd adjusted to life with a new baby. The baby will come near Landrie's 2nd birthday, so I was ready to train a few months after that.
Yesterday I got down her cute frog potty so she would just start getting used to it. I sat her on it and...she went!!! I started screaming and ran to tell Mark. Landrie didn't really get what all the fuss was about, she was just happy with her Hershey Kiss. :)
I thought it was a fluke, but I tried it 4 times Saturday, and she went 3 of those times. What??? She's been a few more times today, and is happy to go. She loves to flush the potty, then runs to the pantry for her candy. :)
Here's my question for all of you.
Is she way too young?? She's not telling me she needs to go, and she certainly can't take off her own clothes yet. I mean, she just learned how to say "tee tee" yesterday! I know some kids this age are potty trained, but I just don't know if she's ready.
If you think it's possible, what are your favorite methods or books/websites I need to check out? I feel so unprepared! :)
PS- Did you vote yet?? Only 5 days until we find out if Baby Long is a boy or girl!!
6 comments:
I'm not a mother, but my mom said I was pottytrained shortly after turning 1. Each child is different; I don't think there's a "correct age" to begin potty training. It seems like she is taking interest in it and actually going! If she's ready now...go for it! Less you'll have to worry about once the new baby is here! By the way, I'm a teacher, so I say: keep reinforcing those behaviors!!! :) Good luck!
I agree with Kaitlin - every child is different. I started Jayme at 22 months and it was a nightmare. She finally decided she wanted to be trained about 3 weeks before she turned 3. With Ashlee I have no idea what I will do with her. She sits on the potty because she see big sister do it, but I can tell she isn't ready. Just don't beat yourself up if you go all in and she decides she doesn't want to potty train. I did use www.3daypottytraining.com when I was training Jayme and it didn't work for me, but it did with some of my friends!
Hi! I just started following your blog. I started setting my little girl on the potty before bathtime when she was 11 months old just to let her get used to being up there. I didn't think it would lead to anything, but then she started using the potty about a month later. 2 weeks before she turned 18 months, she told me she needed to go so I decided to try to potty train her. I thought she was too young, but felt like I could try anyway. If it didn't work out, I would wait until she turned two. Well, that was back in October and she has been using the potty ever since then! She was just really easy and took right to it. If your baby is giving you signs that she is ready, then go for it! If it doesn't work the way you want it to, you can always wait a while. My little girl still can't get her own pants down or get up on the toilet by herself (we have a potty seat the sits on the toilet), but it is so much easier than changing diapers all of the time (easier on me and our pocketbook). She does still wear a pull-up for naptime, but rarely wets it and then wears a pull-up for nighttime. The nighttime one is necessary as she has only made it through the night without wetting once or twice which does not bother me at all since she hasn't even turned 2 yet. Anyway, I say go for it! I would think it would be easier to do it now then when you have your new baby.
Trust your mother gut and stay tuned to her signs and maturity. My husband decided that we needed to train Brooke at 2 years 4 months when we had just a 3 week old son added to our family. He got a cool plastic tub and let her decorate it with stickers then he filled it with m&ms. She did it! But pooping took months later. Lots of anxiety about that so we let her go in her diaper then one day she decided the toilet was fine for that too. Just get ready for steps forward and steps back. We all grow up not peeing our pants anymore so no need to stress as she will get it consistently at some point.
My 2 cents is that if she's not pooping on the potty then she's not ready! Seriously, poop in underwear is a nightmare. I'm one of those all or nothing people. No using the potty and also wearing a pull-up. I also think if they can't pull their own clothes off and on then its a no go.
I personally think it is WAY easier to have a new baby when your other one is still in diapers. A newly potty trained kiddo is so much work. Just imagine, halfway through an hour long grocery shopping trip and instead of just peeing in her diaper you have to stop and take her to the bathroom along with the baby. And then she gets in there and it is filthy and she's touching everything and you're carrying the baby. And maybe she's crying cause these big toilets are so loud and she's scared of them. Then they pee, you get all cleaned up, and then they tell you they need to poop. So you have to start the whole process over again. With a baby in your arms. No fun! Can you tell I've had this experience? :P Diapers are certainly more convenient to me for those newborn months.
I rushed to get Noah trained cause I felt like I should, and it was WAY more work than when I waited till Wyatt was closer to three. I say just let her sit on the potty before her bath every night and let her get used to peeing in it. That's what we did with the boys.
When Hannah was 10 months she REFUSED to go poop in her diaper. So we sat her on the potty and she did "it"! She has been going poop on the potty ever since then (she's 13 months now) We know all of her "poopy signs" so when she gives them we rush her to the potty and she goes every time. We still havent tried the pee-pee on the potty yet but thats mainly because we are lazy and dont want to set her on the potty every hour to go ha!. So its absolutely possible to potty train at a very early age ;) Good luck!
Post a Comment